Monday, December 7, 2009

Recipe: Roasted Garlic and Cauliflower



Cauliflower is one of those quiet little vegetables that folks either love or hate. I'm not a fan personally, as the texture of it raw reminds me of eating rubber fish gravel with Ranch dressing. Cooked, it's always mushy. Not a fan of mushy veggies. But I've always wanted to like cauliflower. It's inexpensive, it's pretty, it's PACKED with nutrients!

While surfing the net a few weeks ago, I saw a picture of roasted cauliflower with garlic. It looked beautiful and since I love roasted garlic, it sounded yummy to boot! I decided to tweak it a bit and make it mine, cooked according to my tastes.

Took it to a Thanksgiving dinner last week and again last night to a Christmas party. Both times it was a huge hit with friends and family. It's easy. And better yet, you can prepare it in advance and then just pop it in the oven 45 minutes before you leave. If you got a chance to try this dish, let me know what you thought...


Roasted Garlic and Cauliflower

2 heads of cauliflower, dice into 1" chunks
1/3 c. olive oil
1/3 c. canola oil
1 1/2 T. diced garlic
1 T. Herbs de Provence (The original recipe called for chopped rosemary, but I wanted a little more flavor. It does make a difference!)
1 t. salt
1 t. ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400.
Put diced cauliflower into a large plastic Ziploc.
Mix oils, spices, garlic and herbs together.
Pour oil mixture into Ziploc bag, closing tightly.
Toss cauliflower in oil mixture until well coated.
Place into large baking dish and bake uncovered at 400 for 20 minutes.
Toss again.
Continue baking for another 20 minutes or until cauliflower is tender to personal liking.

6 comments:

  1. I loved it. Will be making it this week but will probably double the garlic. We like garlic around here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I roast vegetables ALL. THE. TIME. Especially on nights when spaghetti squash or mashed potatoes are on the menu... use that oven to the max!

    I do mixed veggies an aweful lot. I tend to end up with some of one kind, but not really enough for a the whole family. Usually you will find some or all of the following getting roasted at my house: carrots, mushrooms, onions, broccoli, cauliflower , zucchini, yellow squash and (wait for it) brussels sprouts!

    I use olive oil, garlic powder (if I don't have fresh), salt pepper and Italian seasoning. Toss to coat. Spread out on large baking sheet. Cook at 400 for 20-35 minutes.

    I just recently learned that Duncan prefers cauliflower over broccoli, and likes brussels sprouts if they are roasted. And if you doubt the power of roasting still, I have converted my brother-in-law...you know the one who said "Brussels sprouts taste like ---"...well I can't type that word. It isn't lady-like. He had seconds at Thanksgiving, after trying them last Christmas. I highly recommend this technique!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that should be BAKED POTATOES, not mashed potatoes. doh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man...I thought, "Roasted mashed potatoes? Now there's something new." LOL...I was going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very interesting blog with many interesting items.
    Congratulations! is wonderful. May I wish you a wonderful day! @

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I really have to try this recipe. I didn't have any at the party b/c I think I didn't get anything that was on that side of the counter. And, I honestly don't think I've ever eaten cauliflower, so this might be a great way to start! :)

    ReplyDelete